Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Broccoli Slaw

I try to have raw lunches as often as possible, for the awesome vitamin and fiber content. This was a good one! I garnished it with carrots for the photo, but trust me, I heaped about twice this amount of slaw right on top of them after the shot, because I eat HUUUUGE servings. I'm breastfeeding! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. So far it seems that I can eat as much vegan food as I want and still shed the extra weight I've been carrying around for the past 10 years.


2 Tbs red onion, minced
1/3 cup pineapple, chopped
3 - 4 leftover broccoli stems, trimmed and grated
2 stalks celery, grated
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbs canola oil
2 Tbs agave nectar or honey
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

Chop the red onion and pineapple together in a food processor (or not). Change to a grating blade and grate the broccoli stems and celery. Transfer salad to a bowl, then add cranberries and sunflower seeds. Mix vinegar, oil, sweetener, and seasonings in a separate small bowl, pour over salad, and toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes before serving.

I thought this was pretty good, and a great way to use broccoli stems after using the florets for dinner, but it could have used more zing. I tried lime juice, but that didn't quite cut it. If anyone has suggestions, I want them!

And a couple of pics of the Snugglebug, because she is cute and was awake when I had my camera fired up for the slaw. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment